Sunday, September 27, 2009

Harvests

Harvests over the past few weeks have been abundant. Tomatoes were all over my kitchen. I made chutney, pickle, sauce, jam, puree, soup and not to forget the everyday tomato salad. And still I more tomatoes left. But I am not complaining. Recently I am freezing whole tomatoes (cherry tomato size). I just wash the tomatoes, lay them out in a single layer on stainless steel plate in the freezer and after a few hours I bag them up in them freezer after a few hours. I know I will savor these summer home grown tomatoes during the winter months.

Then there has been the green and yellow bush beans, so tender and flavorful that we could eat them raw. The beets are sweet and I am storing them for future use. And obviously the beet greens in stew with rice is another tasty heaven. I got a decent amount of okra specially after the wet summer we've had.

The greens did pretty well this year. I grew mostly Asian greens with some lettuce in spring. I got a good harvest of fenugreek greens, amaranth greens, sour greens and Malabar spinach.

But one which is has become a favourite at our house is the red carrot (Gajar in India). They look, taste and smell really carroty. I am going to grow lots more next year.

All in all, nothing and truly nothing comes close to the taste and joy of growing your own food.



Amaranth Greens


Onions, Carrots, Kohlrabi and Beets


Bush Beans


Eggplants, Peppers, Bitter Gourds and Greens


Look at those red carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment